Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ok let's do this.

Here's what I started writing in the hospital on the morning of November 28th, 2010
(I was going into a LOT of detail apparently LOL)

Original Title: "Birth Story! Part one! Aaaaaaaaand ACTION!!!"

Thursday, November 18th, 2010 - 40w6d pregnant

I woke up around 9am with some extremely mild contractions (FINALLY!). Wasn't getting too excited about it until they seemed to be coming pretty regularly and were getting a little more painful. I figured it was no big deal and I'd just keep an eye on them. I opened up the contraction timer website thing just for fun to see what they looked like and how the thing worked. I noticed they were making a pattern and figured I should probably pay attention.

I text my midwife and told her what was going on. I let her know that I was going to walk and then take a bath and labor at home for a while before I came in. I knew I wasn't very far along and didn't want to rush to the hospital and be pressured into interventions and things I didn't want (oh the irony). She said it was a great idea and left it at that.

We went in to the hospital around 4ish I think. Went in and they got us to a room in L&D to check me. I was not dilated very far but my cervix was effaced a lot. They had me walk for an hour and come back for another check. From there they decided to admit us.

Here is where my dream of a natural birth goes down in flames. I actually had the exact opposite of every single thing I had hoped for and wanted in birth. Apparently I'm an extremely terrible judge in the reliability of medical professionals because I've picked a couple crappy OBs and (come to find out) a crappy midwife throughout this TTC process.

I was told my by my MW that I wouldn't be forced to wear external monitors because I wasn't a high risk pregnancy. They could check the baby intermittently just to make sure he was doing ok. She sounded pretty confident in that and I believed her. In the labor room, however, she tried to get the baby on the monitor maybe 2 times before she said she needed to break my water & put an internal monitor on the baby's scalp. That's nice and all but once my water is broken contractions were going to be a lot worse and that with the internal monitor I would be strapped to the bed.

::to be continued::


No comments: