Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Stir Crazy

As a student, standardized testing is stupid (sometimes hard) and really boring. As a teacher? Eleventy billion times worse. This year I'm only testing one kid. He's an English as a Second Language student and I really have no idea why he needs the accommodation. He never asks me questions about any word on the test. He finishes in time and from what I can tell he's really reading and answering the questions so I just sit there.

What's worse is I'm not allowed to DO anything while I sit there. I couldn't even make a grocery list or a to do list if I wanted to because it's considered a "breach of security" - in case someone wanted to cheat and write test questions down.

Two days down, two more to go. It takes everything in me to stay awake while I sit there and stare at him.

::sigh::

3 comments:

Jen said...

That's ridiculous! If it's just one student you think you'd be able to at least read something to occupy your time. I'd go nuts! You know I remember teacher leaving the room, reading magazines, etc during standardized testing at our school.

Mrs.G said...

Heck, Jen. When I was in school (talking 1st/2nd grade) I remember BUBBLING IN MY OWN NAME ::gasps::

Kids now (7th/8th grade included) don't even have to do THAT themselves! At the first middle school I was at WE had to do it FOR them during our planning time.

The state is crazy. Plain and simple.

Life's a Bee!! said...

I remember bubbling in my name too. Why do you have to do it for them now? Is it to make sure that each student has a test & fills in their own test without making up fake names?? Educations is really insane today. They put all these rules in place to avoid cheating, proper teaching/learning, etc. but they are very disrupting to the learning process. How are students supposed to learn when teachers aren't allowed to do ANYTHING?!! It's RIDICULOUS!