Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Long cycle

So I used to have pretty regular cycles. Lately they've been getting longer little by little. I really need to read more about this - I have yet to read TCOYF and probably need to since my cycles are changing.

School started and I finally taught my first day of classes. I was extremely nervous going into today and worried about everything imaginable and more. Once I got into my first class it's like I snapped back into gear and the rest of the day was great! I had K-4 today and tomorrow I should have my first Pre-K class. It's a totally different world teaching elementary instead of middle schoolers. I really think I'm going to enjoy this a LOT more.

Today I was walking down the hallway to find out if preschool was in the building today or not. It turns out that they hadn't started yet so I had an extra half hour free in my day. A lady heard me asking about preschool and as I continued walking down the hall she asked me if I was a parent. It hadn't dawned on me that I could easily be the parent of a preschooler until that moment. I smiled politely and explained that I was just the music teacher - holding back strings of emotional words about how I wish I WERE a parent and how I probably deserved to be one more than many of the parents whose children I'll be teaching!

I was talking to the 1st grade class I had today and was asking them why they thought it was important to listen to their teachers and parents. One little girl raised her hand and said it was to keep them safe and so we could take care of them. Instantly another girl raised her hand and said she took care of her mom. Kids have wild imaginations but knowing the family lives of students I've had in the past, I didn't doubt her for a second. It broke my heart that she was probably barely 6 years old and is already taking care of her mother.

So, while I wait to ovulate (haha) or at least move on to a different schedule I'll spend my days loving every child that comes into my path. That's one of the best parts of being around the younger kids. Most of them (if not all) are still reachable. Most of the troubled older kids were so hardened by their life experiences it was next to impossible to reach out to them and show them love. The odds are in my favor now.


No comments: